Wednesday, August 6, 2008

New mooches

Came home from the post office today with a stash of 10 packages from bookmoochers around the world. Let me share the treasures that came in the mail today.  

It's like Christmas at the stroke of midnight when you gather round the Christmas tree to open your presents.  And since I know that my presents are all books this time, I am even more excited.  Each package is wrapped so well, with the book enclosed in newspaper, plastic, bubble wrap and enough tape to criss-cross the world several times over.

Hearsay: Strange Tales from the Middle Kingdom, by Barbara Ann Porte. Mooched from Autumn Frymark in Waco, Texas, USA.  Hardcover with dust jacket. 

Have Your Cake and Eat It Too. Illustrated by Mary Engelbreit.  I collect all things Mary Engelbreit and bookmooch is helping me grow my collection.  Mooched from Carrie Ansell in Washington, D.C., USA.  A heartwarming gift book.

Voyage to Atlantis, by James W Mavor. Another topic of much interest to me.  Mooched from Delia in Australia.  

Since I have started blogging, there is more excitement with the arrival of the mooches because now I get to share what I have received online. And even though I have one sure reader for every blog entry I make [that's what best friends are for, among other things], I hope that people who find their way here will get into the mooching habit too.

Back to the mooch loot.  The next package has two books from Sorchah in Illinois, USA.  It's In the Bag: The Complete Guide to Lightweight Travel, by Barbara DesChamps. Yes, I do need to learn how not to bring my entire closet when travelling around Europe.  And Au Revoir Parisienne, by Elmer Williams. I do love Paris, wish I could live there even for just a little while.

The next two hardcover books came from Laurie B in Peabody, MA, USA.  Anne Geddes' Until Now.  I love her innovation in capturing the wonders of children.  King Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory, part of the Great Illustrated Classic series.

It's A Girl Thing, by Jan King from SpongeBob Fishpants in Seattle, WA, USA.  Heard the line "It's a guy thing" a year ago, and when I saw  this title I just had to find out what it meant for us girls. This book was one of the 5 packages in a flat rate mailing envelope.  The nice thing about this form of packaging is that some Bookmooch members let you fill up this envelope so you can mooch more than one or two, sometimes even up to four books and they send in one envelope.  

Eight books so far and four more packages to open, in between text messages and phone calls. My best friend will have a comment in the morning after reading this post. Definitely a comment.

Another package of two books from Suzi in California, USA. The Da Vinci Legacy by Lewis Perdue, a paperback. I enjoy the mix of mystery and history. Many of these types that do entertain and inform.
The Treasure of Montsegur by Sophy Burnham, another papaerback.  Both of these books come with a yellow Bookcrossing sticker, check the link to find out how a book can cross the world just by being left on a bench or a cafe.

Four books from Alina in MI, USA. Mikhail S. Gorbachev An Intimate Biography, by the Editors of Time Magazine.  Burnt Toast and Other Philosophies of Life by Teri Hatcher.  Goldie A Lotus Grows in the Mud, by Goldie Hawn with Wendy Holden. Three more titles to add to the biography shelf.  

And Quick & Easy Recipes ENTREES Food Writers' Favorites, edited by Barbara Gibbs Ostmann and Jane Barker.

The last envelope had two books too, from Kristina in Belton, MO, USA.  Two storybooks.  The Bremen Town Musicians and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, retold by Constance Hieatt.

Sixteen books to add to the library. Still haven't figured out how to make everything fit. Will try to move them books around again.  Even have a few more books to add to "my to be mooched inventory". 

The overflow is contained, until the next notice from the Post Office arrives.


0 comments: